The Family

The Family

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Japan

My sister-in-law, Sayaka, is from Japan.

When she and my youngest brother married in 2008, Jack was barely a year old. I was slightly concerned about a 23-hour flight with a baby, not to mention the cost of the trip. Unfortunately, we weren't able to be there for the wedding.

They married in her hometown, the city of Kitakyushu.



My parents went, and when my dad tells stories of the trip he always emphasizes the politeness and friendliness of the Japanese people.

When the massive earthquake hit Japan a couple of years ago, many people called us to ask if her family was alright. Thankfully, they were not directly impacted by the devastation.

I don't feel like I know much about Japanese culture other than the few things I've learned from her. I think it would be fascinating for the children to experience somewhere so different and distinct.

One day, we are going with Sayaka to meet her family and visit her native country.


No comments:

Post a Comment