The Family

The Family

Friday, February 22, 2013

Ireland











Long before I visited France or England, I wanted to travel to Ireland.

I think it has something to do with believing for years that I was of Irish descent. Actually, I still believe my maiden name is Irish, even though my uncle swears it is Scottish.

It's not easy giving up an ethnicity you've claimed for years.

In high school, one of my best friends, who also swears her maiden name is Irish, traveled with her grandmother and a group of senior citizens to Ireland.

I was so jealous - minus the large group of senior citizens part.

I can still picture the photo of her hanging upside down kissing the Blarney Stone.


Shortly after Mattie was born, Matt's mom and step-dad visited Ireland. She brought back brochures about the city of Killarney, a place I'd never heard of.

She said it would be the perfect spot in Ireland to visit with children.

It was around that time I renewed my intent to one day visit the land of leprechauns, shamrocks and St. Patrick and to find out for certain where my Irish roots might lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment