The Family

The Family

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Shrimp, Shrimp and More Shrimp

I'm a seafood foodie. Always have been.

Crab legs, crab claws, oysters of any variety, fish, lobster, you name it. I love it.

My favorite is shrimp,

As a young child I would order popcorn shrimp every chance I got, and it makes me one proud momma to know Jack has acquired my seafood-loving gene.

Everyone we were at the beach with loves seafood as well, which is why dinner every night included some type of shrimp.

On our first night in Gulf Shores, Matt and I took the children to The Shrimp Basket. There's no better place to clog your arteries than at this delicious fried-food joint. Jack, Matt and I each ordered a basket of fried shrimp. They do have grilled or blackened items, but it doesn't seem right to not order fried food at a place like this.



On our second night, three out of the four couples decided to pick up shrimp from a local seafood market. The husbands went to pick it up, and I'm proud to say that mine had the forethought to know that it was getting a bit late and he was going to have one ill wife AND one ill child on his hands if they had to wait on the shrimp to cook once he brought it back (neither of us have much patience, nor are we fun to be around when hungry). He got ours steamed there. The only thing we had to do was the peeling!

On our final night in town we went with another couple and their kids to Lulu's, a wonderful hangout for young children. There's lots of sand and buckets to play with while waiting for a table. I ordered grilled shrimp kabobs and ate every last bite.



Before heading home on Sunday, we stopped at The Oyster House where I had shrimp au gratin. I'd never had it this way before and thought I'd give it a try. Truth be told this was my least favorite of all the shrimp meals I ate. The au gratin was too runny for my taste, but the shrimp I picked out of it was delicious. I'm also a sucker for a good salad bar, and this place had one of the best I've seen in a while.



I'm not sure why I didn't order shrimp scampi anywhere??? That, hands down, is my favorite way to eat shrimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment