The Family

The Family

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Christmas Tunes

I used to be a morning person.

Then I had kids and stopped sleeping through the night. Morning now comes too early with me wishing for a few more hours, even minutes would be welcome, in bed.

This morning was no exception. I had two bright-eyed, rambunctious children laughing and running before I was able to sleepily swing my legs onto the floor to greet the morning rush.

I could feel the crankiness switching into high gear as soon as I made my way into the den and took a look at all the needles on the carpet. Matt and Jack were busy last night setting up the train around the tree while I graded speeches in the bedroom, so I had no idea the mess that awaited me. Vacuuming was not on my agenda today, much less before breakfast.

As I huffed and puffed my way to the laundry room to get the vacuum, the reality of what my attitude was doing set in. Of course there were needles on the carpet. WE HAVE A REAL CHRISTMAS TREE. What was I expecting?

So, before I had a chance to zap the joy right out of everyone's day and the merriness that SHOULD surround the Christmas season, I decided to put on some Christmas music.

I don't have an I-pod, but I do have an I-phone that works perfectly well when it comes to searching You Tube. I started with Jingle Bells, followed by Jingle Bell Rock. It didn't take long before I was in a jolly good mood.

I played some Bing Crosby, and it reminded me of the Christmas record I loved as a child  - Crosby's White Christmas, Winter Wonderland sung by Dolly Parton and The Muppets version of The Twelve Days of Christmas, among some other great Christmas songs, were on that record.

I realized Jack doesn't know many Christmas songs, so I decided this will be a good way to start out the mornings this next month.

I'm not sure what will be on our daily play list, but Elvis singing Silver Bells and Nat King Cole's Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire and his version of 'O Holy Night are songs I could listen to over and over.

No comments:

Post a Comment