The Family

The Family

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Summer Reading

What is it about summer that creates the desire to read?

Maybe the long days give the impression that one has more time. Whatever the reason, I love summer reading.

Here’s my book list for the summer:

1.      A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan – This book has been on my reading list since last summer. I’ve been trying to check books out at the library more and not buy as many because I’m running out of places to put them. Our local library didn’t get a copy of it until this winter, and it’s been checked out each time I’ve tried to get it.

2.      Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James – This is supposed to be a modern-day sequel to Pride and Prejudice. It’s also been on my list for a while, but hasn’t been in at the library.

3.      Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – How have I never read this book? I guess it should be number two on my list followed by Death Comes to Pemberley.

4.      A Life of Her Own by Emilie Carles – Remember my last post where I talked about the online history course? Well, this is one of the readings for the course. There are actually several books listed on the syllabus, but because I’m not really taking the class, this is the only one that piqued my interest enough to want to read it.

5.   Together - Growing Appetites For God by Carrie Ward an Everyday Mama - I heard this author speaking on the radio about daily Bible reading with her kids. The interview included an audio clip of all the interruptions and struggles of these daily readings during breakfast. She began to think nothing was sinking in, until sometime into it when she heard her kids acting out what she had read.  

6.      Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin – I read a review on the latest book about a year ago, but wasn’t ready to get sucked into another series. I think I’m now willing to take the plunge.

7.      The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – Yet another series I was trying to avoid because I know how much of my life it will require, but I promised a dear friend I would read these. I’ve heard, that like Harry Potter and Twilight, they are fast reads. I’ve also heard, that like Harry Potter and Twilight, I’m going to love them.

There’s no way I’m going to get through all of these by the end of summer, but a girl can try.
We'll also be venturing to our local library a lot to pick up books for the summer reading program for children. 
Happy summer reading everyone! 

1 comment:

  1. Just to add one more to your list is On the Island by Tracy Garvis Graves. You'll fly through it, but I'm telling you it's one of the sweetest books I've read. I'm just not sure if it's only on the Kindle. Cody read all the Game of Throne books and loved them. They are HUGE! I'm talking like 900+ pages. You'll get a workout just picking them up! If you'd like, I'll get them to you, so you don't have to buy/borrow them. We have them all.

    ReplyDelete