The Family

The Family

Monday, May 21, 2012

Nerd Alert


As if I need anything else to add to my list of things to do after the children are in bed.

I’m now taking an online class through Yale.

No, seriously.

A story on NPR a few weeks back mentioned how Harvard and MIT will soon begin offering a number of their courses online for free. A few days later, I came across an article about how Stanford had been doing this for some time.

I wanted to check it out.

I found that a number of prestigious universities offer some of their courses this way. Of course, you can’t actually get college credit when you take an online class for free. That works fine for me because I don’t want or need college credit.

I just happen to like the idea of listening to lectures on subjects that interest me.

So, for the past few weeks, I’ve been taking an online history course through Yale taught by Dr. John Merriman and titled “France Since 1871.”

I’m loving it.

I don’t actually take the exams or write the paper. I for sure don’t have time for that. I am, however, enjoying the lectures immensely.

That’s because I’m a complete geek that gets thrills by listening to lectures!

I also like being able to say I’m taking a Yale history class.

The only thing about hearing so much about France is that it makes me want to get back to France. All the hubby could do when I mentioned this was roll his eyes:)

1 comment:

  1. I was just talking the other day about Harvard and MIT offering free classes online. I LOVE this idea, but haven't checked it out yet. Even though you don't get college credit, they do give certificates if you actually complete the course. I think that speaks volumes on a resume! WHEN I have time, maybe I can look into something like that.

    ReplyDelete