The Family

The Family

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Case for Introverts

I’ve found a kindred spirit in Susan Cain, the author of the book “Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking."

Like her, I’m an introvert that has plenty of experience as a pseudo-extrovert.
My guess would be that most people who know me would be surprised by my declaration of introversion. I mean, I teach public speaking for goodness sake.

On further reflection, I think my closest friends would agree. I’ve always been on the quieter side until I get to know someone. Once I know you, I'll talk your ear off. However, on more than one occasion I’ve been accused of being a snob because I didn’t talk much at an event or function.
If we’re not traveling, you’ll probably find me at home. I enjoy the solitude and time to spend the day as I desire.

This usually includes a lot of reading.
I’m a total book worm. Most nights you’ll find me reading long after the children are in bed.

In addition to being an introvert, I’m married to one and our four-year-old son is incredibly introverted and shy. While I’ve learned to navigate the social order throughout the years, he wants no part of it. At times this bothers me because I have an idea of what others are thinking. At other moments it comes as a relief that he wants to stay at home as much as I do.
That’s why I’m so glad I came across Cain’s book because it makes the case for us introverts.

Being an introvert doesn’t mean we’re hermits or that we shy away from all social interaction. Just as Cain explains in her book, it does mean that we enjoy quiet reflection more often than not and that we are more comfortable at home or with small groups of friends.
The book doesn’t attempt to pit introverts against extroverts. In fact, Cain’s goal is just the opposite. She explains why introverts sometimes need the company of the extroverts in their lives and how extroverts could learn a lot from their quieter counterparts.

I’d like to list some of Cain’s more compelling remarks about introverts in the hope to peak your interest about this insightful, witty and well-researched book:

“I had always imagined Rosa Parks as a stately woman with a bold temperament, someone who could easily stand up to a busload of glowering passengers. But when she died in 2005 at the age of ninety-two, the flood of obituaries recalled her as soft-spoken, sweet and small in stature. They said she was “timid and shy” but had “the courage of a lion.” They were full of phrases like “radical humility” and “quiet fortitude.” What does it mean to be quiet and have fortitude? these descriptions asked implicitly. How could you be shy and courageous? Parks herself seemed aware of this paradox, calling her autobiography ‘Quiet Strength’ – a title that challenges us to question our assumptions. Why shouldn’t quiet be strong? And what else can quiet do that we don’t give it credit for?”

“Introverts living under the Extrovert Ideal are like women in a man’s world, discounted because of a trait that goes to the core of who they are. Extroversion is an enormously appealing personality style, but we’ve turned it into an oppressive standard to which most of us feel we must conform.”

“Just as Tony Robbins’s aggressive upselling is OK with his fans because spreading helpful ideas is part of being a good person, and just as HBS (Harvard Business School) expects its students to be talkers because this is seen as a prerequisite of leadership, so have many evangelicals come to associate godliness with sociability.”

“I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork…for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. – Albert Einstein”

“…I wonder whether students like the young safety officer would be better off if we appreciated that not everyone aspires to be a leader in the conventional sense of the word – that some people wish to fit harmoniously into the group, and others to be independent of it.”

“Warren Buffet, the legendary investor and one of the wealthiest men in the world, has used exactly the attributes we’ve explored in this chapter – intellectual persistence, prudent thinking, and the ability to see and act on warning signs – to make billions of dollars for himself and the shareholders in his company, Berkshire Hathaway. Buffett is known for thinking carefully when those around him lose their heads. ‘Success in investing doesn’t correlate with IQ,’ he has said. ‘Once you have ordinary intelligence, what you need is the temperament to control the urges that get other people into trouble in investing.’”

“Your degree of extroversion seems to influence how many friends you have, in other words, but not how good a friend you are.”

“We know from myths and fairy tales that there are many different kinds of powers in this world. One child is given a light saber, another a wizard’s education. The trick is not to amass all the different kinds of available power, but to use well the kind you’ve been granted. Introverts are offered keys to private gardens full of riches. To possess such a key is to tumble like Alice down her rabbit hole. She didn’t choose to go to Wonderland – but she made of it an adventure that was fresh and fantastic and very much her own.”

I could go on and on about this book. If you have an introvert in your home, this is one read you don't want to overlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment