The Family

The Family

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Stoney Creek Inn

We spent last night at the Stoney Creek Inn in Sioux City, Iowa.

I mentioned in a previous post that we'd be staying in "rinky-dink" hotels along the way. Well, this place was far from rinky-dink. I booked the room for $89, so I assumed it would be a small hotel with a cool waterfall and some bear statues out front (I saw these images on the hotel website when booking the property).

What I didn't expect was the decor to be so rustic. The hotel definitely did not match its surroundings.

I realize this sounds like a complaint.

It's not!

Here's what I mean. The inn is located directly off the Interstate in Sioux City and is surrounded by, for the most part, run-down buildings. Inside there are lots of images of outdoor life, a deer head mounted on the wall and a stuffed bison in the lobby. Faux gas lanterns are spread throughout the hotel.

I would expect to see something like it here in The Black Hills or the Great Smoky Mountains. I just wasn't expecting the lodge-like feel of an inn that is located in the midst of town.

The hotel itself was large. There was also a pub, an indoor/outdoor pool and a good breakfast.

Maybe these pictures will give a better feel for the place than my floundering description. It's been a long four days!

The back of the hotel had a pond with streaming waterfalls

Did I mention waterfalls are a favorite of his - that's the reason I booked the place
A view from the back - Nothing like what you see on the inside
A view from the front
The little boy apparently hates deer mounted on a wall - He was so upset by it that we had to walk through another room each time we passed
The moose armchair and ottoman in our room
One of several tree lamps in our room
The bison in the lobby
One of many bear signs displayed throughout the hotel
Our Paul Bunyan bathroom
Holding sister








No comments:

Post a Comment