The Family

The Family

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Homesick

Here we are a couple thousand miles from home and it has sunk in.

My little man is homesick. He told me tonight how he missed home. Tears welled up in his eyes.

He was tired and we were laying in bed going through our nightly routine. Except, when you are so far from home, it's not the same thing. It's a different bed, a different room and it all feels different.

I haven't been homesick in so many years I'd forgotten how bad the feeling is. When you're four, and home is your favorite place, six days away from it is a long time. We've got about six more to go before we get home.

So tonight, I'm saying a prayer that God will help me say what he needs to hear most tomorrow night if this feeling creeps back in.

Our days have been fun-filled, but when the weariness sets in at night and the eyes get heavy and the limbs ache from so much walking and running and playing, the familiar warmth of home is what he's probably missing most.

We all learn this tough lesson at some point: There's no place like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment