The Family

The Family

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Note on Where We Stayed

When booking our St. Augustine trip I had no clue where to stay, so I went to VRBO.com to see what it offered.

I found a great condo located on a golf course. The property had a walk-in pool, and it looked promising. That was until I realized the owner didn't accept payment through American Express. This points junkie had to look elsewhere.

We ended up staying at Junie's Lighthouse Cottage. It was near the Lighthouse Museum, so I guess that's where the owner came up with the name. Not sure who Junie is???? The owner's name is Emilie.

The upside:
It had a kitchen
Plenty of room for us to move around and store all our stuff
Free passes to the Lighthouse Museum are included in the booking fee
Close to downtown and the public beach
The owner and property manager were super nice and easy to contact
It was tucked away in a neighborhood
I paid with my AMEX

The downside:
The public beach was a short drive - The beach within walking distance was not the kind of beach to sit around and relax at
The cottage is attached to an upstairs unit where someone apparently lives - We could hear people moving about above us each night, and one night it sounded like someone was drilling
No laundry room though there was a laundromat located nearby
I had to pay for the entire stay up front which makes me kinda nervous

My two favorite things about this place:



There were three of these books published in the 60s on the coffee table. They included short essays and articles on culture, art and history. They made for some interesting late-night reading.

I loved this chair! I seriously considered calling the cottage owner to see if she'd sell it. I would have if there had been room in my car.

Here are a few more pics of the place:






I forgot to get pictures of the kitchen and the second bathroom. There was also a nice yard with a lime tree and a hammock. The hammock was another upside, but the downside was we didn't want to get in the hammock for all the mosquitoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment