The Family

The Family

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Bennington, Vermont

We flew into Albany, N.Y yesterday and made the hour-long drive to Bennington, Vt. We arrived in Bennington about 2 pm, which gave us plenty of time to explore.

We spent one night here at this cute Vermont inn, The Knotty Pine Motel:




Jack and Mattie loved what was awaiting them.





We were able to walk to breakfast this morning. The Northside Diner was next door to the motel, and the blueberry pancakes with Vermont maple syrup were the way to start the day!

We spent only one day in Bennington, but it was well worth the stop.

Imagine my surprise as I was researching the town last week and realized the poet Robert Frost lived and is buried in Bennington. Anyone that's read this blog for a while would know I've gotten into reading poetry this past year. I wouldn't say I have a favorite poet, but Frost's poem, "The Road Less Traveled," might possibly be my favorite poem.

Here's the Robert Frost museum. I took this picture just as a bumblebee flew into Mattie's face. A massive meltdown quickly followed.



I'm not sure if you can read that is says Frost wrote "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening" on a hot summer day.



I was completely freaked out by the many notices posted throughout the place about not venturing into the woods near the house because of all the ticks carrying Lyme Disease. Lucky for us it was raining, and we didn't hang around outside long.

After the museum, we made our way to his grave site, which is located in town, several miles from the home/museum.




Before leaving Bennington today, we visited the Bennington Battlefield Monument.



I loved this neighborhood by the memorial. It fits the mental image I have of New England homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment