The Family

The Family

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Great Gatsby

The breaks I incurred during my three-hour dental visit today allowed me to read most of "The Great Gatsby."

This is my second time reading Fitzgerald's classic novel. The first was in college, though not as an assigned reading for a lit. course. I devoured it one weekend when I was back home because my youngest brother had a copy he was reading for his high school english class. 

I'm reading it now as part of the Open Yale class on Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Faulkner.

I don't remember the ending, which makes it exciting! I'm fairly certain someone dies, but whether it's Tom or Daisy or both I can't say. I also can't remember if I love or loathe Gatsby in the end.

At the current point I'm at in the book I like him because it feels like he is trying to rescue poor Daisy from a loveless marriage. A vague recollection of the first reading, intuition and understanding a bit about Fitzgerald tell me it isn't likely to end this way.

The timing of this second read through is perfect because I can pick apart the upcoming movie, set to be released in May. I know Carey Mulligan plays Daisy, which I'm having a hard time picturing. I think Carey Mulligan is a phenomenal actress, but as I'm reading it's an image of Blake Lively that keeps popping into my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment