The Family

The Family

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

This Time Around

I'm taking the plunge and going to read Faulkner.

Not only Faulkner, but Hemingway and Fitzgerald as well.

I'm reading works by all three authors as a part of the course Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Faulkner through Yale. I've  mentioned before the free classes that Yale University offers through it's website. This is another of those.

Except it's not a literature class as one might expect. It's classified under American Studies.

Oprah once said people "turned on her" when she chose one of Faulkner's works for her book club.

If you know anything about any of these three authors, you'll know why. They can be dark and heavy on the soul.

I read Hemingway's "The Sun Also Rises" a number of years ago, and the unhappiness of the characters was keenly felt.

Because these great writers can add new meaning to emotional suffering, I know better than to try to read all the books in a row. After each book I'm taking a break. I need to finish the Game of Thrones series. I've also got a new book from Sally Clarkson to read in between to lighten my heart and spirit.

I went through the lectures in the previous courses quickly, but because I want to read all the texts that go along with this class, and because of the necessary breaks I'm taking between each book, it's likely to take close to a year to finish this one.

Going at your own pace is just one of the many benefits of free, online learning I enjoy so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment