The Family

The Family

Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Wonders of the Night Sky

The first time I looked through a high-powered telescope was last night.

It was A-MA-ZING!!!!

I don't spend as much one-on-one time with Jack now that Mattie has come along. So, when I saw the e-mail this past week about "Astronomy Night 2013," I knew this was our chance.

Getting Ready to Go!

We spent much of the night gazing at the moon, the stars and Jupiter.

I wish I had pictures of the massive telescopes in the field, but we were asked not use flash photography because it would mess up everyone's night vision.

Before our star-gazing began, there was a quick presentation on constellations, along with some hot chocolate, Milky Way candy bars and Moon Pies.





There's something about being outdoors on a cold winter's night looking up at the sky. It definitely beats pondering that same sky in the summer when all the pesky mosquitoes are swarming about.

Seeing the moon's craters and its brightness through those telescopes left me with a sense of awe. And when I saw Jupiter I was nothing less than giddy.

Jack was enamored as well. He kept going on and on about how "cool" it all was.

I hope if nothing else, this post will inspire you to find a good night this winter season to bundle up and ponder the majestic heavens with your children or anyone willing to brave the cold along beside you!


No comments:

Post a Comment