The Family

The Family

Thursday, April 12, 2012

To Fly or To Drive


For our next trip we had to ask ourselves this question: Do we fly or do we drive?
Normally, the answer would be easy. If the trip takes more than 5-6 hours we wouldn’t think of doing anything other than flying. A trip that takes 23 hours and some odd minutes obviously falls into this category.

So...

WE DECIDED TO DRIVE
What, you might ask, are we thinking?

I’ve asked myself that question a number of times as we get closer to our trip.
Here’s some of the thought process that went into this decision:
- We couldn’t get a direct flight. We live near an airport where direct flights to most destinations usually aren’t a problem. After much searching, I was dismayed to find no direct flight leaving out of that airport. The connecting flights were all cutting it too close. It’s stressful enough making your connection when you are on your own, but add all the bags, stroller, car seat, snacks, etc., etc., etc. that come with traveling with two small children, and this began to stress me out just looking at the booking screen on my computer.
- If we were to fly, we would have to rent a car when we got to our destination. This in and of itself isn’t a big deal. We did it in San Francisco and Maine. It was the double-take at the price of a rental car that was the issue.
- As we talked more about driving we realized time was on our side. I will have time off work in between semesters, and my husband has enough vacation time. The idea of a drive made the trip sound more nomadic and adventurous. While this means we have to stay in a number of different hotels along the way, the plus is that we can stop out our leisure. If we stick to our budget, even in the midst of this high-fuel dilemma we are all experiencing, then we’ll come out slightly less than the car rental would cost. Besides, I’m a hotel kind of girl and like the possibilities of finding some interesting spots in places we've never been.
- A good friend took this same trip with her two young daughters a few years back. They drove and had an excellent time. When I told her we were thinking of driving she said she wouldn’t have done it any other way.
In the end I felt like we should drive. If I’ve learned anything these last few years as a mom, it’s to trust my instinct.

No comments:

Post a Comment