The Family

The Family

Monday, April 23, 2012

Beatrix Potter

The Easter Bunny left a four-piece collection of Beatrix Potter classics in baby girl’s Easter basket. The collection includes The Tale of Peter Rabbit, The Tale of Tom Kitten, The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck and The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher.

Always the bookworm, I love how the front has a place for: This book belongs to ______________.
I started to write her name in each of the four books, but stopped myself. I always liked writing my name in my books as a child and thought I should save this small pleasure for her.

When reading the books aloud at bedtime, the actual stories don’t draw me in as much as the pictures. I remember reading the Tale of Peter Rabbit at my grandmother’s house as a child. Truthfully, I’m not quite sure this is where I read it, but my memory is that she had a copy with the same pictures in an upstairs bedroom. As I read it aloud to the children, memories of her home flood my mind.

I read a blog a few weeks ago that described a trip to England to visit homes of famous authors, and Beatrix Potter’s was one of those homes. Shortly after we were married, the hubby and I went to England. One of the stops was Stratford-upon-Avon where we visited Shakespeare’s home. I remember thinking then how wonderfully literary it would be to take a trip across England to visit some of my favorite author’s homes. After reading that blog and now re-reading some of Beatrix Potter’s books, I’ve got to add hers to the list of British homes to visit.

Another thing about the author I must share is that I want to call her Bellatrix – as in Bellatrix Lestrange. When I spoke her name aloud I got an odd look from the little boy. If you haven’t guessed, we are huge Harry Potter fans around here, and Beatrix and Bellatrix are a bit too close for comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment