The Family

The Family

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Second Time Around

I'm comfortable with who I am as a mom.  

Not confident, but comfortable.

I wouldn't have said that four years ago.

I was a mess after my first was born. Mainly because I knew what I should do, but no one seemed to agree with me. I usually did what I thought was best and offered the answer I thought others wanted to hear when asked. Basically, I lied about most of my parenting techniques.

I knew things would be different with the second; I just didn’t realize how much better they would be after owning up to the way I choose to raise my children.
I don't do many of the things most parenting books or magazines – I quit reading those long ago – suggest.

I know who I am as a mom. I know who my children are. I know it’s OK to be different as long as you are being led by a higher power, and you are following his lead.

I’m not trying to sound self-righteous or imply my way is better. That’s what made me such a mess the first time around – thinking there was one right way.

There will always be plenty of people to offer well-meaning, though unwanted, advice. While I must admit it bothers me to think about some of it (like the person who long ago criticized my desire to keep my children at home and referred to my son as the boy in the bubble - still a wee bit bitter over that one), I've learned to follow my instincts and to hold true to that inner voice that guides me.

It doesn’t mean things are always easy. It doesn’t mean my feelings won’t get hurt when people question my parenting.

It just means that for now I know in the CORE of my being that I am doing exactly what God has called me to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment