The Family

The Family

Friday, January 10, 2014

The Flu or Not the Flu

We've been to the pediatrician's office three times this week. While the flu test for both children came back negative, the doc thought it could likely be a false negative.

I said at the time I would be suprised if it was the flu because (1) we all got flu shots this year (yes, I know you can sometimes get the flu even though you've had a flu shot) (2) we hadn't been around anyone that had the flu nor had we been anywhere in almost a week (3) I was pretty sure they picked up a nasty cold from playing with some friends on New Year's Eve.

Now, two ear infections and a scary cough later, I'm still going with my original thought of this being a bad, bad, bad cold virus.

My go-to site whenever my children are sick is www.askdrsears.com. I stumbled upon the site when Jack was a baby, and the Sears' advice on attachment parenting was music to my ears.

At the time I was trying to parent more by instinct, and it seemed like many voices around me were questioning my every move - both to my face and behind my back. Everything Dr. Sears advocated in terms of parenting made me feel like I wasn't alone. The more I read, the more I realized others like me did exist.

Even if you don't get into all the ideas of attachment parenting, the site is FANTASTIC when it comes to figuring out how to care for your sick child. It is so in-depth and mimics the real-life scenarios parents often encounter with their children.

Thanks to our own patient pediatrician (my children hate going to the doctor, and the loud cries make that apparent to anyone in the vicinity of the clinic) and the Dr. Sears website, I've been able to nagivate through the sneezes, coughs, runny noses and fevers that have plagued our household this past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment