The Family

The Family

Sunday, January 19, 2014

On the Homefront

As much as I love to travel, there's not much on the itinerary for the next few months.

That's equal parts because we're considering a BIG trip in May, and we need new furniture for the den. We've had our sofas for 10 years, and it's obvious. Not only are the cushions fraying practically everywhere, but the legs on both are rigged and held up with whatever device Matt configured to keep them from constantly falling backward while people sit on them.

Instead of the real thing, we have been doing some arm-chair traveling lately.

Jack is REALLY into Egypt right now. I mentioned in a blog post awhile back that he wanted me to get a biography on Nefertiti when we were at the library one day??? It was not a fast read, so we've returned it and checked it out again more than once. This latest obsession was exacerbated when the movie "The Mummy" and "The Mummy Returns" aired on television shortly before Christmas.

Now he's asking for Lego mummies, and we practically ransacked our local library shelves for every book on Egypt we could find a few weeks ago. He is even asking to go to Egypt (not going to happen anytime soon!).

We've also been to Winterfell and King's Landing - by we I mean Matt and I. Game of Thrones is no show for children.

We tend to go on binges because they are the only way we can watch a show.

I've read the first three books in the series, so I know everything that is going to happen. We're still on the first season, and I'm glad to see that, so far, the show's writers have stuck to the original storyline.

I'm back to merry-old England as well with the return of Downton Abbey. I haven't been able to catch it on Sunday nights, but because we get both Alabama and Georgia public broadcasting, I have several opportunities to watch it later in the week.

As far as Mattie is concerned, she's just happy to go to Mommy and Me music class every week where she can sing and dance to her heart's content.

And even though what I'm about to add has nothing to do with traveling or what we've been doing lately, I have to plug this story on doodling that aired on CBS Sunday morning today. I have a co-worker that is an avid doodler at faculty meetings, and I just might be joining her this week as well as encouraging Jack to doodle away while I read aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment