The Family

The Family

Friday, July 19, 2013

On The Day You Turned Two

You won't remember yesterday.

It was your second birthday, and it was one of the few days in the past few weeks it didn't rain.

Your brother was so excited for you that he woke up at the crack of dawn. He wanted to be the first to show you the Dora and princess balloons your daddy bought the night before. We tied them to your high chair, and you squealed with delight when you saw them.

You carried your cookie monster toy around all day and even slept with it during naptime. You were freaked out by your new "What's in the Bible" dvds, another cookie monster Aunt Anna got you and a pink, fuzzy hair clip. You made sure we knew you didn't like them.

You talked to many people on the phone and when they wished you a happy birthday you repeated the phrase back to them as if it was their birthday. 

You couldn't wait to eat your strawberry cake. You kept making your way to the dining room table trying to sniff the cake and then telling us all how good it smelled.

And today, while we were eating some of that leftover cake with real the strawberries baked inside, you leaned over and told me you loved me. My heart melted and swelled all in the same moment.

Oh my sweet, fiesty, loud, beautiful daughter. I was so afraid of having a girl before you were born. Now I can't understand why. You make me remember what it was like to be a little girl and how fun life truly is.

Some days you do scare me; it has more to do with your complete lack of fear than my fears about raising you and messing it all up.

You talk more than I ever imagined a two year old could.

You make us all laugh daily. We laugh at you and with you. Don't ever forget how effective laughter can be, both making people laugh and especially laughing at yourself, for dealing with the ills of life.

We are so glad to call you ours. And even though you aren't technically a baby anymore, you'll always be my baby girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment