The Family

The Family

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Lessons I've Learned From Harry

I think I've mentioned once or twice that I love Harry Potter - the books and the movies. Of course the books are better. You get a more in-depth portrait of all the characters and end up with deep attachments to many of them.

There's the Weasley clan, probably my favorite cast of characters - besides Harry, Ron and Hermione of course. Then there are the professors and all the students from the House of Gryffindor, not to mention Gryffindor alums like Sirius, Lupin and Tonks.

Every time I think about the world J.K. Rowling created I am always astounded at the depth and breadth of the story.

The movies follow the books close enough that I won't complain. I'm a book purist, so any divergence can send me over the edge. 

While we have most of the movies on DVD, I rarely sit and watch them. However, when ABC Family has its Harry Potter weekends, I'm glued to the TV. I think something about the commercial breaks helps. You can get things done in between - diapers changed, clothes washed, kids bathed, dishes cleaned.

Dumbledore's words of wisdom leave me pondering for days.

I was particularly struck by another of Dumbledore's assertions when watching The Order of the Phoenix this past weekend. I'd never paid much attention to it before.

"It is not how you are alike; it is how you are not."

Hearing, and actually comprehending the truth in it, brought me to tears.

While it may not seem like much, especially if you are unfamiliar with the story, it was spoken by Dumbledore at a critical point in Harry's struggle with Voldemort. 

If you've spent a lifetime trying to not to be like someone, you'll understand the importance of that statement.

There's always this nagging fear that you will end up just like that person, or group of people, you don't want to become. Sometimes, focusing on that fear makes the similarities all to clear. But when you step back to see the differences, then the important truth is revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment