The Family

The Family

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

While in Birmingham

Last week when we went to see The Nutcracker, we spent the night at The Wynfrey Hotel in Birmingham. The hotel is attached to The Galleria, and I can remember years ago when both were built.

My grandparents used to live in Birmingham, and it was a huge deal when The Galleria opened. I have a lot of memories of shopping trips with family and friends and eating Boardwalk Fries (it was a great french fry place in the food court that served hot cheese dip with the fries). I was hoping it might still be open, but sadly, a wrap sandwich shop stood in its place.

I knew it would be better to spend the night before the performance. It started at 10 am, and since it sometimes takes me 2-3 hours to get out the door these days, I didn't want to chance a 2-hour drive the day of the performance.

We don't have much of a mall here, so the multitude of stores, toys and junk food were a real treat for us all!

We rode up and down on the escalator in the hotel lobby countless times.



Mattie had fun trying to pull all the balls off the trees.



We rode the carousel, which had reindeer in place of horses.




We visited the toy store and walked out with both Mickey and Minnie.



Trying to get everyone to look and smile at the same time was nearly impossible as we waited the next day for The Nutcracker to start. As  you can see, Mickey and Minnie are still with us.





 Mattie's got the look down pat!


I should also admit that my bragging about not spending much money or going overboard with shopping this time of year on a post last week was spoken in haste. Apparently, I don't get out enough these days because I think I bought something from every store we went in.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment