The Family

The Family

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Art is Fun!

If you were to visit our home, you'd probably notice a lot of kid's art work hanging about.

That's because Jack and I have been busy with some art projects.

I purchased the Home Art Studio for kindergarten a few months back. Lindsey Volin, an art teacher residing in North Carolina, teaches art in this series of DVDs.

I'm not sure how I came across this. I'm guessing it was reviewed and recommended on another blog because the link for the program was stored in my favorites list on my computer. I check that list every few months and for whatever reason, I'm glad I saved the link for this.

As I've mentioned before, I am no artist. I want to be creative and crafty, but it's not in my DNA.

Jack, on the other hand, just might be a miniature artist. I know, I know, every parent thinks this as some point. Right?

He gets so excited every time we do a project. I let him do his own work with minimal help from me in the cutting department. I do my own each time as well because art is actually quite relaxing, calming and FUN.

Here's what we've done so far:

We cut out and decorated these germs yesterday. Not to worry, these are good germs; you know, the kind that don't make you sick.



This was the first project. It was messy, which added to the enjoyment. One of the things I like about the DVD is that Ms. Volin teaches concepts as well as technique. This was about painting as well as understanding primary colors.



This was another painting and then mixing with primary colors exercise.



We hung these on Mattie's door.



This project took us a while to complete. We had to take breaks and return to it as time permitted throughout the day. It required a lot of layering for texture purposes.



The sunflowers on the outer edges have been my favorite project. There was a brief history lesson about Vincent Van Gogh that went along with it. The Christmas trees in the middle were actually an idea I got from a friend on her blog Cupcakes and Commentary . The thing about art is that once you get into it, you can't seem to stop yourself!!!



There are 18 lessons, so we've still got a ways to go.

I'm not much of one for curriculum sets, but this is definitely a keeper. The DVDs currently go up until the 5th grade, so I plan on purchasing more of these.

1 comment:

  1. I love all this! Jack has art in his DNA for sure.....he is such an artist! Your not to shabby either! You write so beautifully...that is your art.

    ReplyDelete