The Family

The Family

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Something From the Farm

A few miles from our house is a wonderful farm that offers a community supported agriculture program (CSA). We participated in the program for the first time last fall and were amazed at how much produce we received every week.

Yesterday was the first pickup for the spring/summer CSA share.

It wasn’t much, but since the strawberries came in earlier than expected
because of the unseasonably warm weather, the CSA started a couple weeks early.

I love this program because all the fruit and vegetables are grown right there on the farm. It’s not organic, but the produce is grown without the use of pesticides or chemicals.

I buy all my ground beef from there because it comes from cows raised, as one of the farmer’s sons told me, “on nothing but grass and sunshine.” The beef has the deepest red hue and next to no grease. I occasionally purchase whole chicken that was raised there on the farm as well. They have a lot of lamb, but I haven’t tried it because I don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to cooking lamb. Turkeys were offered this past Thanksgiving. It was the first time I cooked a turkey, so I recruited my grandmother's assistance. We were able to pick it up the day before Thanksgiving so the bird was as fresh as they come.

The sweet family that live and work on the farm provide people in our community great options for fresh, local produce. Throughout the next few months I’ll post pictures of our goodies.

I even got the hubby and the little boy to build this compost bin so that we can recycle all the extra trimmings from our fruits and veggies!

Here’s to hoping I don’t walk out one day to find stray or wild animals grazing in our backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment