The Family

The Family

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Blue Sky

Last week when I compiled a list of all the places we visited since our son was born, I wanted to share a tip on how it's been possible for us to take these trips. I quickly realized it was a combination of things. If I was going to be honest with myself, and anyone that might read this, I would need to include all of these things instead of just my original thought for this post.

To start, we have been blessed with wonderful parents that keep our children on the few days each week I teach at our local university.
This truth is the reason we are able to afford to travel as much as we do.

Also, some of the trips on that list were taken with our extended families, and the hotel or some of the meals were paid for by them. It's nice to have family members that like to travel as we do and that are generous enough to help on expenses!

Most of the places on that list, though, were trips we took and had to pay for ourselves. Or, we would have had to pay for the entire trip if it wasn't for our Blue Sky card from American Express.

About six years ago a friend and mentor, knowing how much I liked to travel, offered some advice that, like most of everything he has taught me, proved true. He encouraged me to get a credit card that offered travel reward points. He used a Delta Sky Miles card through American Express for most of his trips. While we often fly Delta, I wasn’t sure I wanted a card that would limit us to one airline. After doing some research I came across the Blue Sky card.

I know there is a plethora of attitudes that exist about credit cards. Some people advise not to have any to avoid the pitfalls of debt. Some people have almost every card that exists and have most of those maxed out. We have found that when used in a fiscally responsible way, a credit card can be incredibly rewarding. That’s been the case for us with our Blue Sky card. (This is beginning to sound like a commercial for American Express. I can assure you this is only my opinion).

The beauty of the Blue Sky card is that it gives you points to redeem for not just flights, but for hotel and rental car bookings as well. Most of the trips I listed in that previous post were of little cost to us because we were able to redeem points to pay for the flight, hotel room or both. We use our card to pay for everything from groceries and gas to entertainment and bills (at least that’s how I pay the cable bill now). Anywhere and everywhere that takes American Express, we charge it. We actually have two Blue Sky cards - one for me and one for my husband.

The main reason it works so well is because we pay off the balance each month. Not only does that keep us from paying an outrageously high interest rate, but it’s also the only way to earn enough points to benefit us for traveling. You get the points based on what you pay, and when you pay it all, you rack up the points.

Did I mention there’s no annual fee with the Blue Sky card?

I know there are other cards that offer similar travel rewards. This is just the card we like and have been rewarded handsomely for using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment