The Family

The Family

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bibles, Birdhouses & Benches

I enjoyed the Biblical wisdom and insight Linda and Tom had dispersed in the rooms throughout their lakeside cabin in Pine Mountain. I was especially drawn to a piece of literature titled "199 Treasures of Wisdom on Talking with God." It was a small book that contained shortly worded thoughts and insight on seeking God. I also found comfort each night looking at Tom's large, leather-bound light brown Bible. It was reassuring to think of how often that Bible had been used throughout the years and how often it has been a source of encouragement, comfort and guidance. While this trip was not planned as a spiritual retreat, I feel in many ways that's what it ended up being.

There were other wonderful things about the cabin as well. Birdhouses adorned every space, both inside and out. Here are some of the charming pieces that were on display.















I'm sure there are others I missed.
You can tell Tom is an avid bird watcher. Not only does he have The Peterson Guide to Birdwatching, which is, from what I’ve heard, the book for birdwatchers, but he also has these!

I knew as soon as I saw the case by the back door it was binoculars. I remember as a child my grandfather’s binoculars stored in a similar, if not the same, type of case.
There was also an array of seating! I love checking out furniture. Chairs and seating are some of the things I notice right away. There was always a bench, adirondack chair or swing to rest on while outside. Each bedroom had at least one chair to sit in for reading or rocking. My favorite piece was a bench placed on one side of the kitchen table, flanked by four chairs to round out the table.

The sitting area is a reader’s paradise.


A framed needlepoint on the back of this wall says it all:
It’s where we see the sunrise set
It’s where the children’s toes get wet
It’s where we go for peace and rest
It’s our little cabin on the lake that’s best

1 comment:

  1. WE HAVE ALSO BEEN BLESSED BY TOM AND LINDA TO BE ABLE TO TAKE OUR CHILDREN TO THE CABIN. YOU LOVED YOUR TIME JUST AS MUCH AS WE DID.
    ENJOYED YOUR BLOG.

    ReplyDelete