The Family

The Family

Friday, February 27, 2015

It's All Egypt

I might have mentioned a time or two how obsessed my 7-year-old son is with Egypt.

A few weeks ago his clay teacher completely adjusted the schedule to include an Egyptian theme for the week. I think she did it more to not have to hear Jack ask when they were going to do something related to Egypt. HA!

She had the coolest set of Egyptian heiroglyphic stamps that she purchased many years ago from the Metropolitan Museum of Fine Art in New York during her own son's Egyptian phase.

I don't know why it never dawned on me to check out their online gift shop before. It is an art lover's paradise. Not only did I get a set of similar stamps for Jack for Easter, but I also came across some educational resource materials.



We started our Egyptian study this morning, and if all continues to go well, I'm considering purchasing their other collections down the road.

We kept it simple today. We talked about the land and people of early Egypt. Then we worked on our own project using Play-Doh.


Taking the map located in our resource guide, we created our version of ancient Egypt, complete with the Nile River, palaces, pyramids, the eye of Horus and an Egyptian army (the brown dots represent people).



The clumps on the left side were my three-year-old daughter's contribution!

No comments:

Post a Comment