The Family

The Family

Monday, November 17, 2014

Harvest Casserole

A few weeks back I mentioned a sweet potato casserole recipe that isn't the typical sweet potato casserole recipe. I thought I'd share it today.

I made it last week for the first time in about a year, and Matt kept going on and on about how much he liked it. He's not one to get all excited about food, so for him to comment on it more than once must mean he really does like it!

I'll be making it again next week when we have family at our house for Thanksgiving. It won't be the first time I've made it for this holiday, nor will it be the last. This one is a keeper.

Ingredients:
5 cups diced sweet potatoes (about 2 large potatoes)
5 cups chopped Granny Smith apples, peeling included (about 3 medium)
1 cup sweetened, dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into teaspoon size pats
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable Oil

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees
-In a large bowl combine the potatoes, apples, cranberries
-In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon (I probably add a lot more because I love cinnamon and just add it liberally) and salt, then add to potato mixture, tossing with hands to combine
-Spoon mixture into a baking dish then dot with butter pats
-In a small bowl combine oatmeal, 1 cup brown sugar, flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Stir in the vegetable oil (I just eye this until it mixes all the ingredients well. The recipe actually calls for 1 stick of melted butter, but I found the casserole tends to be too dry with the butter mixture on top. The vegetable oil gives is some much needed moisture.)
-Spoon the mixture on top of the casserole
-Bake, covered, 45 minutes
-Uncover and bake 30 minutes more

No comments:

Post a Comment