The Family

The Family

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Breakfast Casserole

I'll be first to admit that the idea of a breakfast casserole is not always appealing to me. I've seen plenty that are runny or gooey, which for something so early in the morning isn't the most appetizing.

A number of years ago my grandmother made a sausage casserole that is not only NOT runny or gooey, but a delicious and filling breakfast.

I get on kicks of cooking this one. I'm on one now.

It does take time to prepare, so a busy morning wouldn't be the best time to try this out.

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground breakfast sausage (mild or hot according to your preference)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (the recipe actually calls for 2 cups of mozzarella, but I like to mix the two cheeses - you can add as much or as little cheese as you prefer)
1 8 oz. can of crescent rolls
4 eggs beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Tabasco

Directions:
Cook the sausage in a skillet and drain it once fully cooked
Spray the bottom of a long casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray
Unroll the crescent rolls and line them along the bottom of the dish
Poor sausage on top
Add the cheese
In a bowl mix the beaten eggs, milk, salt and pepper
Pour the mixture on top of the sausage and cheese
Back at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes

This is so filling that no sides are necessary. However, a good fruit salad or a melon mixture would complement this nicely. I love adding Tabasco on those days when my acid reflux isn't acting up. It gives the morning a nice zing!

No comments:

Post a Comment