The Family

The Family

Saturday, April 26, 2014

A Boy and a Creek

When he stepped into the water two days ago he didn't look back.

He didn't reach for my hand.

He headed off on a journey of his own. A journey that only a 6-year-old boy, in a Huck Finn state of mind, can appreciate.

It was one of the many bittersweet moments of my parenting journey. He felt the spirit of adventure leading him and followed the call, which made my heart swell with pride. But there was a time when he wouldn't have dared go on his own, which left me with that horrible feeling of not being needed.

I stood there on the shoreline with his sister realizing how much independence comes with age.

Then he looked back, saw me and beamed from ear to ear!

And while the water had receded when we went back today, it didn't stop him from taking to the adventure yet again.







No comments:

Post a Comment