The Family

The Family

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

On a Whim

Last Tuesday one of my students was talking about her weekend in her hometown. She's from DC and mentioned that the Cherry Blossoms were supposed to be in full bloom within a few days.

For three years I'd been telling myself that we were going to find ourselves in DC just to see the Cherry Blossoms. I thought and thought, and checked the price on flights and hotels, and decided to do it. While tickets for a flight turned out to be too expensive, driving was certainly an option.

So on Friday morning the children and I set off on our grand adventure to see the Cherry Blossoms in DC!

We were not disappointed.






It was absolutely breathtaking. The only surprise was how white the blossoms looked. When you got closer you could see the pink hues, but all in a group, like in the picture above with the sun shining down, they appeared as white blossoms.

I'm so glad we didn't wait. I was going back and forth between last weekend and this upcoming weekend, but when we returned home last night I checked to see what the report was on the blossoms and the foliage was already falling off because of rain and wind. It would have been a total bust for us, especially considering the drive, if we would have waited.

Speaking of the drive, it took two days to get there and two days to get back. It was 11 hours, so with me alone in a car with two children, I knew not to push it.

There were times I got a bit nervous thinking how far we were traveling from home without my husband. I'm not sure I'd do it again anytime soon, but we enjoyed every minute. Well, almost every minute. There were still moments of sibling strife and an occasional meltdown, but on the whole, things went well.

The kids did fantastic in the car. We listened to the first three Lemony Snicket series audiobooks. They watched DVDs. We listened to music and Veggie Tales cds.

It was when we stopped for breaks at random rest stops that the wildness could not be tamed. And who can blame them? It was a long ride.



No comments:

Post a Comment