The Family

The Family

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Summer Reading

Here we are, approaching the end of the summer, and I haven't posted anything about what I've been reading.

Better late than never, I guess.

It's quite pathetic how few books I've made it through this summer. My reading list keeps getting longer and longer, and my reading time seems to be more and more diminished.

Ah, such is life with two young children!

I stayed up late two nights ago eager to finish the mystery "A Crime of Privilege." The author includes a disclaimer at the beginning about the work not being related to anything or anyone. HA! Every detail of that book was about the Kennedy family. I truly enjoyed reading all the explanations of the Cape, especially Hyannis Port. Since we visited earlier this summer, I knew almost every place he described or listed. It was a small thrill each time I could mentally assert "I know where that's at!"

I tried to read two books I grabbed from the church library written by Augustine of Hippo, but like when I tried to read Dante's Inferno, I gave up on about page 12.

Earlier in the the summer I read "The Orphan Master's Son." The first few pages were so disturbing I almost put it down. I plugged along, however, and while the content was at times still gruesome, it felt like a different novel by the end. All I can say is that I was glad I had recently read a book on the suffering of others because this book was full of it.

And speaking of suffering, early June found me beginning the book of Job in the Bible. I had read through Job once before, and wasn't looking forward to doing so again. I don't think I've ever heard anyone express joy about reading Job. Quite honestly, it's agony. But as it turns out, Job was exactly where I needed to be. At the end of June a former student and dear friend was killed in a car accident. I spent two weeks in tears and total shock, barely sleeping at night and dreaming about him when I did sleep. There hasn't been a day since that I haven't pondered the meaning of it all. Even today, amidst more disturbing news about his accident, I can't seem to believe it really happened. Reading through Job's turmoil and agony has been about the only thing that has helped me try to wrap my mind around the unimaginable moments of life during this period of grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment