The Family

The Family

Friday, July 25, 2014

On Turning Three

She's been three for a week.

I can't seem to wrap my mind around how fast time moves.

It plays tricks you know. Time.

I assume all mothers have the same yearly refrain on each child's birthday to the tune of "I just can't believe ___________ is __."

And I can't. I can't believe my baby is 3.

She has so many likes and dislikes I don't know where to begin. She loves to sing and dance. Sometimes I'm allowed to sing and dance along. Other times my participation creates a complete come apart on her end.

She loves to ask for her brother to do something and then berate him for doing it.

For months she wouldn't give a kiss for any reason, but in the past few weeks she is in ultra kissing mode.

Her contradictions and moods make each and every day laughable and challenging. Her feistiness is no surprise.

She's her own person. Each day I become more aware of that. There was a time when that thought would have scared me, but being the mother of a daughter is one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Loving her makes me remember what it was like, once upon a time, to be carefree and innocent. It helps me to remember the dreams and fantasies of my girlhood.

She makes us all laugh that genuine, delight kind of laugh and keeps us on our toes every minute of the day.

She's three, and I just can't believe it.

No comments:

Post a Comment