The Family

The Family

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

A Saturday in DC

A good way to spend the day in DC is to travel out of DC itself and to Mount Vernon, George and Martha Washington's home, in Virginia.

We hopped on the metro near our hotel and rode it to the end of the line. From there we took the 151 bus to Mount Vernon and spent the day exploring the grounds and the house.

I visited Mount Vernon in the 6th grade, but all I remember is the house. I'm not sure if more has been added in terms of the tourist information as you enter the property or if I paid no attention to it at the time.


Here we are at the museum connected to the ticket office

We spent the majority of the day walking around the property.

I don't know what it is about touring a grand estate, but something in a great home like this always produces a distinguished feeling.


I also don't know what it is about children and dirt, but the gravel path took any boredom out of waiting in line.

We were able to see the tombs of George and Martha as well, something I know I didn't see when I visited as a child.

After Mount Vernon, I made an impromptu decision to head to this place:



It's Jack's favorite place in DC.

I kept telling him it wasn't likely to happen on this trip. We were in DC for a day and a half, and because the Lincoln Memorial is a good walk from the metro station, I knew we would be pushing it with Mattie. But she fell asleep on the bus ride back from Mount Vernon and I thought, why not?

It's a great place to end any day in DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment